Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Asus G1 Laptop Review

The Asus G1 is a gaming notebook described on the Asus website as the "notebook series that redefines mobile gaming with advance graphics solutions, exclusive display technologies and unique design details."

The standard straight out of the box specification from ASUS for the G1 are as follows:

* Processor: 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo T7200
* Memory: 2GB DDR II 667MHz
* Hard Drive: Seagate (Momentus) 160GB 5400rpm SATA
* Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go 7700. PCI Express, 512MB true dedicated VRAM
* Screen: WSXGA+ 1680x1050 Resolution, Glossy finish.
* Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi Light Scribe Drive
* Operating System: Windows XP Professional with Vista upgrade option included
* Warranty: 2 years Collect & Return UK Warranty & 2 Years (no carriage) Global Warranty.
* Other built in features and ports: 1.3 mega pixel Web Cam, Bluetooth 2.0, Intel Wireless ABG, 4in1 card reader, PCMCIA slot 1 type II, Infa-red port, mini Firewire port (IEEE 1394), SPDIF Output (&Headphone), Mic input, Audio Input, S-Video output (TV out), RJ45 Gigabit LAN, RJ11 Modem, 4x USB 2.0 ports, DVI output, VGA output, Kensington lock port

My requirements for a notebook were as follows:

* Gaming: I'm used to a 256MB X700 GPU in a desktop, and used to playing most games at medium settings (since my X1800GT, Opteron desktop has been shelved for the past few months, but that's another rather painful story)
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz or faster with 4MB L2 Cache was a must. In real life usage, I do notice my AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor up to full pelt quite a lot, I've found I want more out of my computer as time goes by and that means more programs running more of the time.
* Memory: The game Warcraft eats the stuff, as does having multiple programs running, so having as much memory as possible was my goal
* Screen Size: Screen size was a big factor in my buying decision. With my previous notebook usage I predicted 50% usage on desk and the remaining 50% on my lap. I've ruled out 17” as an option since even the lightest 17” machine was too cumbersome for me to use for any length of time on my lap. I felt an ideal size would be 14" widescreen, however I'd have to sacrifice pixels, which was a no go for me. I'm spoiled at work and at home with desktop areas of 2880x1050 and 2560x1024. So I was keen for a reasonably high resolution screen. Try finding a screen less than 15.4" or 15" in size at anything more than 1280x800 or 1280x1024 in resolution, they’re hard to come by. Glossy screen was a plus point also.
* Hard Drive: For me size was not important, just speed. I’ve been reading up on the effects of the hard drive on system performance and the results are surprising. I'm looking into getting a solid state HDD or Hybrid HDD as soon as possible and when it’s cost effective – future upgrade is likely.
* Optical Disk Drive: I was not bothered about this until the guy I sit next to at work light scribed a disc a few days ago and although it took 25mins to scribe, the end result meant that Lightscribe disc/drives are seriously cool gadgets to play with!
* Input / Output Ports: I wanted all the regular ones in full force, I also wanted a FireWire 2 port for external HDD backup, however I'm not aware of this being an option on a notebook so I had to compromise on that one.
* Docking Station: Would be nice, but not important, as a USB port replicator would suffice.
* OS: Ideally Windows XP Pro, but not too bothered.
* Battery Life: Not a major factor for me, 2.5hrs would be nice but 1.5hrs would suffice, more than that is a bonus. I use a notebook on plugged in power while gaming as I need a flat surface for an external mouse.

Build and Design

The looks of this machine are aimed firmly at a certain demographic…boys who play games. I won't wax about the looks as you can see from the pictures, in short the looks suit me. I like the way it looks and I will enjoy the attention the green lights will bring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great blog!Keep up the pace.you may also find out myblog attractive,so please click here to read my blog
at computercrate.blogspot.com

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Laptop Reviews - Laptop Review - Dell Laptop Reviews - Labtop Reviews